4.28.2012

I Wore For: Kids These Days

  Teenagers, listen up:  as long as you're polite, say please and thank you, and pay your bills, you will be successful and people will like you.  I cannot say how many girls my age I have helped find their prom dresses, and how many times I've wanted to drink antifreeze when I see more of them coming in the door.  (This isn't going to be a rant.  This isn't going to be a rant.  This isn't going to be a rant.)  My generation is utterly rude, self-centered, obsessed with their bodies, and disrespectful of anyone with authority offering to help them.  (Okay, it was a rant.)  
  A girl was in on Thursday and I could've kissed her, she was so sweet.  Her budget was tiny ($75, when all [and I mean allof our dresses run $125+) because she had to pay for her prom dress on her own.  The prom's in a week - usual shipping from the companies to us is at least two.  She couldn't find anything she liked in stock.  She was, in fact, a difficult customer.  I didn't mind, though, because she walked in, short little blondie that she was, and the first thing I noticed was her smile.  She smiled at me, smiled at my coworkers, smiled at the dresses as she pawed through them.  She smiled at the catalogs and smiled at her phone as her stepmom was on the line telling her she wasn't going to help her with the cost of her dress.  She smiled through her tears as she hung up.  She smiled when I told her we'd negotiate to help her with the cost.  She thanked me, thanked my boss, thanked my manager - absolutely the sweetest prom girl I've ever helped, and I was so happy she found a dress she loved.  She came in again today and I was excited to see her, to let her know I'd ordered her date's tuxedo and everything was set.  I wanted to help her in any way I could.
In short, be polite, even to the people whom you will probably never see again.
Of course because it's the right thing to do, but also because you never know who's going to go home and write all about you on their blog.